Saturday, November 7, 2009

A Month of Being Thankful

"F" is for Family & Friends

Disneyland August 10, 2009

Thanksgiving 2008

August 2009 - Grandma, Grandpa with Mia and Wyatt

I am thankful for my family, today and everyday. I've been blessed with 2 very loving, selfless and amazingly generous parents and 2 sets of grandparents that we still get to spend time with, an aunt and uncle who had 11 kids giving me 11 amazing cousins who I was able to spend many summers with. When I was away at UCSD I met Cary and 5 years after that day we got married in 1999. The day we were married my family grew quite a bit and I received 2 sister-in-laws, a brother-in-law and 2 parent-in-laws. Six years after getting married we welcomed Mia into our lives in 2005 and 2 years after that we had Wyatt in 2007. I feel so blessed to be surrounded by love daily.

My parents have taught me thorough example to be a patient parent to my kids, to listen to what they are telling me, to always react with kindness, to appreciate every moment as they pass by so quickly and to love no matter how angry a situation might make me feel.

Cary has taught me to express my creativity, always ask questions, to be open to ideas, to be compassionate, to take a chance and to embrace change. Cary is kind hearted in all situations and I love his honesty. He exercises his honesty even in situations when what he has to say isn't exactly what I want to hear and I love him for that.

Mia has taught me to dance even if everyone is watching, wear whatever makes me feel good (for those of you who know her, she has quite a flair for fashion :)) and to always ask "why?". Mis is a free spirit that will spin like a ballerina one second and jump off heights that make my toes tingle the next. She has no fear and has a passion to explore the unknown. She is a fiery Leo and we definitely have a lot in common. I love her view on the world and her insight even at 4.

Wyatt has taught me to hug always, be optimistic with all situations (he has this mastered...I'm still working on it) and to go with the flow (again...I'm working on that). He is the most patient, loving and kind-hearted human I know always ready to do what's needed of him. He is the embodiment of peace and love on earth. I love his utter curiosity and give-you-the-benefit-of-the-doubt disposition. I am excited for all I have to learn from him in the years to come.

It is my hope that I be the kind of parent to Mia and Wyatt that my parents were to me.

Now...."F" also starts another very important word in my getting by day-by-day....friends. I love my friends. I believe friends help build your personality, your experience and in some ways help shape how you see the world. Life is unpredictable filled with extreme ups, days where it's feels a bit like groundhog day, and at times extreme lows. Friends (and it goes without saying, family) are always there to pull you through or to celebrate depending on the situation. What would we do without that one friend who we can call at 3 in the morning and know they will be there for you, no matter what? I have friends like that and love them for there love.

Now, on to another F that is far less important but a fun indulgence on more occasions than likely necessary. Fro Yo (frozen yogurt). I live in Encinitas, CA and for those of you who haven't experienced Berry Happy on the 101, you must. Tell them Kim sent you :).

No comments:

Post a Comment